We make men without chests and expect of them virtue... We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst.
--C.S. Lewis

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Under the Eaves

Written June 2010

The heavens are sympathy today,
Expressing my feelings just the way
I wish I could.

Under the eaves I find my chair,
Breathe in the darkening air
And sigh.

My heart is wild; so is the wind.
Direction and drive cannot be reigned in
By any hand but God's.

Thinking, wishing; dreams and fears--
I gaze up through the clouds' tears
So often like my own.

But today my heart is worn.
Feelings abound but the drops won't form.
So I lay my head back on the chair;

I close my eyes,
Cry inside,
And let the rain soak my skin.

Thick and fast comes the downpour
Like blessings from the hand of my Lord
Even in the midst of my stormy heart.

Thunder rolls around the sky;
The clouds begin to dry their eyes.
I am soothed.

No comments: